Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Birth Stories: Campbell ~ homebirth

Campbell's birth story

I know I'm forgetting something, so much happened in such a short time!

I had been having latent labor/contractions for about a week and was getting very cranky and distracted. On Thursday I finally gave in and called the midwife and asked her to check me/strip my membranes. I was really worried that I was going to have the baby on the day her daughter was graduating, so was hoping to move things along and maybe have a baby on Friday.

She came by and I think she and DH were laughing at me :) I was 2 cm and about 90% to 100% effaced. She stripped my membranes, and really thought I wouldn't be having baby until next week.

I slept really well Thursday night, the best night sleep I'd had in a long time. Woke up with a little bit of show and plug. Went to work about 6 a.m. and started having the same contractions I'd had all week long. Throughout the day I had some more show and plug, I figured it was because of the internal exam, no big deal.

About 1 p.m. I started to have contractions that were tightening under my belly and moving around to my back. I was stopping to notice them and was getting really annoyed typing at work and wanted to get out of the chair. I started timing them and they were only about 3-1/2 minutes apart. So, I called in work and took the rest of the day off and asked DH to pick Avery up from school at 3 p.m. so I could listen to some birthing affirmations and try to relax. I also called the midwife and let her know that I thought I might be having "real" contractions and would give her a call in a couple of hours and let her know if things picked up.

Quinn was taking a nap and I had the house to myself for a couple of hours, it was really nice. About 2 p.m. I was on the computer for a bit trying to distract myself and started timing contractions about 2-1/2 to 3 minutes apart. I was starting to lose myself in them and getting really distracted. So, I started preparing, made up the bed, blew up the pool and brought down the things I thought we needed. I had intended to finish up some laundry and make a poultice, but I just didn't get it all done, lol!

I called the midwife about 3 and let her know that things were picking up, she wanted to come by and at least check me to see if she was going to be able to attend an event that night at 6. Chris came home with Avery and Quinny got up from her nap. They were picking dandelions in the front yard to let me relax through the contractions.

When the midwife got here she saw me breathing through contractions, checked me, and I was 4 cm, 100% effaced and a +1 station. She started bringing the equipment in, called her assistant, and they started filling up the pool. When the assistant got here Chris was grilling burgers for everyone and it was a bit overwhelming. I went upstairs to rock through some contractions on my ball and listen to some more affirmations. I called Andi to let her know she could post, I think I was really in labor at that point.

The ipod was starting to annoy me and I was starting to get louder and longer, so the midwife came up to get me and try the pool to see if that would help. It wasn't warm or deep enough and I couldn't get comfortable, so back on my ball I went.

I don't know how much time passed, but everyone finished their burgers and we set the girls up with a movie in the basement. They came up and down, more curious than scared. I think they were more interested in the pool in the living room than anything else.

The hot water was ready, and before I got back in the pool she checked me and I was at 8 cm. I wanted to go to the bathroom before getting back in... She asked me if I had to poop and I told her no, but I emptied my bowels again when I got there. She reminded me that with the position changes I was going to have a lot of contractions, and I think I swore at her and told her sarcastically that she was full of great news, lol. Definitely transition.

Got back in the pool and started "no, no, no" through the contractions. They were right on top of each other and I just wanted a break. My shoulders started shaking, and I knew this was a sign of being complete. They started putting on gloves and suggesting I try pushing to see if it would feel any better. I remember thinking "what are they doing? I'm not ready yet."

I couldn't feel a pushing sensation when I was trying to push, but could feel the bulging bag. I asked if she would break my water so I could feel to push him out, I just wanted the contractions to end. I flipped over, she broke my water and I had a looooong contraction. Brought him to crowning while yelling that I did not want to (lol) and that it hurt and I didn't want to do it. The contraction ended and I was able to hold him there to stretch out my perineum. The assistant and Chris were trying to figure out the camera, and I yelled at her that the lens cap was on... Then another contraction and I pushed him out.

I remember him floating in the water and being surprised that there was a penis, so I said "It's a boy!!! There's a penis!"

The rest was a bit of a blur. I was helped out of the water, and arranged. I was able to birth the placenta right away as it had detached and was just sitting there, what a relief to have the contractions end! I had just a very small tear/mark that we left to heal by itself. The girls came up at some point, and Avery was able to cut the cord. So cool! He started nursing right away and had a great latch. He didn't want to let go ;)

Everything was very normal and relaxing. It was very surreal to have a baby after dinner, and everyone go to bed without disrupting routine too much!

A very healing experience after Avery and Quinn's births and I wouldn't change a thing!

1 comment:

Passionate lady said...

What an impowering story. I think I will live through birth stories like