Sunday, January 4, 2009

Random thoughts

Happy New Year!

Random Thought #1
I'm excited that I got an amazon.com giftcard for Christmas so I can build up my reading library. I have three books on their way to me: Birth as an American Rite of Passage, Heart & Hands: A Midwife's Guide to Pregnancy and Birth, and The complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth. I'll be posting my thoughts on them as I read them. I've been impatiently waiting for the mailman to deliver them for a week. Oh the things that excite a birth junkie!

Random Thought #2
I've also been researching the various Childbirth Education programs available. It's definitely tough choosing one. I've narrowed it down to a few whose philosophies match mine(mostly). But making the decision and coming up with the funds is no easy task! Right now I'm leaning towards CBI or ALACE but I'm still not decided.

Random Thought #3
Caught the "extreme parenting" episode on 20/20 last night.
Yay for the Orgasmic Birth segment!
Nay for the breastfeeding and homebirth segments. They really needed to explain the difference between an unassisted birth and a midwife assisted home birth. Lazy journalism there.
HUH? for the reborn parenting. Didn't belong in this episode in my opinion.

2 comments:

Loretta Anderson said...

Hi Alicia,

Love your blog, well done for getting the message of natural birth about there!

My name is Loretta and I am a mother of 2, a midwife and a lactation consultant and am very passionate about natural birth and women getting the correct message.

I see that you are doing some reading about birth and researching childbirth education programs. I have just finished a new interview series on the types of choices women have on natural birth. I interviewed 7 experts from around the world on natural birthing methods. These include Marie Mongan the founder of Hypnobirthing, Marjie Hathaway the co-founder of The Bradley Method and Barbara Harper and Founder and director of Waterbirth International plus many more.

You can have a look at my blog www.naturalbirthplan.com and also my link to my audio ebook on the interviews at www.child-birth-options.com.

Education is the key when it comes to birthing, and you are right, there is so much out there. What I an aiming to do is to change the mind set of women and to help them learn to trust their bodies and birth the way they want.

Good luck in your endeavours and I will keep checking your blog and see how you are going. Take care and have a lovely day.

Kind Regards,
Loretta Anderson RN RM IBCLC
email: loretta@naturalbirthplan.com
Blog: www.naturalbirthplan.com
Book: www.chil-birth-options.com

Jessica said...

Okay, wait a minute. I didn't know you were actively looking to become an educator on natural birthing. Way to go! You would be phenomenal.

Glad you're back to blogging.

Oh yeah, I plan on checking out Loretta's blog too.