Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Haven't women been squatting in caves for thousands of years?"

My dear friend Brian spoke this nugget of truth on a car ride up to Maine this past summer. We had been discussing birth and out came this statement. I like to tease him, but he really is wise beyond his 26(for the last three birthdays, lol)years.

Women have received so much "help" giving birth recently, that we tend to forget that we instinctively know how to do it. I remember thinking prior to my first child being born, "Gosh I hope I do Ok. I hope I know how to push correctly." Well, assuming you aren't numb, it takes no more thought on how to push a baby out than it does to push a poop out!! You just do what your body tells you to do. It would serve us all well if we gave a little shout out to the cavewoman within us all.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard women say "women have been doing this for ages, and you can do it to." It wasn't just said to me, but yet the statistics are scary and women are wimping out left and right.

Brian said...

I did say that! Whether it be out out of ignorance or simplicity it does seem like the most logical and easy thing in the world. I think that we forget that we're still animals with natural instincts just because we're so 'civilized'.

You totally inspire me Leesh!