Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Business of Being Born

Someone recently asked me what I thought was so wrong with maternity care. I was stumped and truly didn't know where to start. It's such a complicated issue, but I think that the root of it all is that nobody seems to know what normal physiological birth is. If people don't know what normal birth is, how can they recognize that the births that are taking place in hospitals across the country are so abnormal?

I'm going to start recommending The Business of Being Born to everyone. I wish I could just carry it with me and hand it to people to go watch. Then I wouldn't have to deal with people thinking I'm some crazy two-headed birth freak. It's an excellent introduction to the birth crisis and for many people, may be the first truly non-interventive birth they've seen. They certainly won't see it on A Baby Story.


2 comments:

Jessica said...

I really want to see that movie. It kills me that I still have yet to have a natural childbirth. I came close with Wes, but was pushed to have an epidural because I 'stalled'. Unfortunately, I've been told I can't see a midwife because I've had gestational diabetes in the past. Not sure if taht's still true.

Alicia said...

Yet? Are you planning on having some more kiddos? Yippee! I don't know who told you you can't see a midwife b/c of gestational diabetes. I know quite a few women who were able to still use midwives even while on medication for gd. Besides, you might not even get it next time, although the odds are higher since you've had it before. I would suggest setting up some meetings with midwives and they will let you know if they can help you or not. At the very least, they would know which OB's are more natural birth and VBAC friendly and could point you in that direction. It honestly would require you to be your own advocate, but you're already so good with that for Wes that doing it for yourself would be a piece of cake. Oh, and check out your local library for The Business of Being born. A lot of them are starting to carry it!